With the ending of a job, a relationship or the end of a year, for example, we find ourselves on the threshold of new experiences ahead, hopefully having learned from what is behind us.
I call these times in life pivot points.
Pivot points are great opportunities to acknowledge what we have learned and prepare for the new experiences and adventures we face in the fresh starts.
Ringing in the new year is a significant pivot-point.
I have a ritual I observe with my clients when we reach the end of their coaching programs with me called reflect and launch. This is a process I use for myself at the new year and I thought it would be helpful to share this with you.
Here are the steps to my reflect and launch process for the new year:
REFLECT on the year behind you…
- As you look back on 2014, what are 5 things you learned that you did not know before 2014? big or small, no matter! Write them down!
- Was there a theme for the year? Patterns? Was it a year of big change? healing? relationships? career growth?
- What are the feelings, experiences or people in 2014 that you feel grateful for having known?
- What are the feelings, experiences or people in 2014 you would like to now let go of?
- What habits did you have in 2014 that you know were not good for your health and well-being?
- If you could go back and do 2014 differently, what would you do? what would change knowing now what you didn’t know then?
LAUNCH into the new year with intention and purpose…
- As you look ahead to 2015 what are 5 things you would like to learn, do, experience?
- What are three words that capture the theme for your ideal 2015?
- Name feelings you would like to have and experience in 2015. How do you want to feel in your daily life? (i.e. content, peaceful, joy)
- What new habits would you like to cultivate so that they stick?
- What relationships do you want to nurture in 2015?
- If you could time-travel to January 1, 2016 and look back on 2015 what would you want to feel about the year? How would you like to feel differently this time next year than you do now?
As I prepare to launch my LIVE 12 Weeks to Total Transformation with a group of women over 40 who are ready for a life-redesign, much of the process will be reflecting on where we have been as we launch into our lives creating newly grooved habits, fresh perspective and a deeper love for Self and others.
Whether you are joining a group or a program like mine or facing your new year resolutions on your own, taking time to reflect on where YOU have been and move forward with clarity of intention will be a huge help in ensuring you continue to grow and expand.
Happy new year!