When was the last time you had an absolutely delicious night of sleep? Oh how much easier sleep comes when we are leading a more simplified life. Fewer worries keeping us up at night. Less clutter in the house interfering with our ability to relax. Shorter to-do-list.
So which comes first? Chicken or the egg? Simple life or good sleep? It’s a riddle for sure.
I’m going to begin with what I can control since it’s not so easy to control the quality of my sleep on command. I CAN control other factors that help contribute to the quality of my sleep, however. So here are the things I’m vowing to do today and the next several days. I will test it and let you know how it goes or if you’re brave and want to try this with me please – by all means – join me!
- I will move my body with loving vigor daily preferably in the morning until my heart rate is up and breath is heavy in intervals with moderate pace of rest in between for 20 minutes.
- I will ensure I drink a liter of water throughout the day but stop drinking fluids after 8 pm so I don’t awaken in the middle of my slumber for potty time.
- I will refrain from alcoholic beverages as these interfere with sleep patterns for a variety of reasons.
- I will meditate first thing in the morning and just before I go to sleep at night. Ommmm.
- I will practice my beloved gentle yoga with a downloadable class in the morning and again at before I do my bedtime meditation.
- I will breathe deeply and consciously throughout the day.
- I will use my black out curtains, remove all electronics from bedroom and turn on our air filter for soothing white noise.
- I will difuse my blend of relaxing essential oils (lavender and cedar…)
- I will take a warm bath at night with candle-light and my favorite relaxing music play list over the blue-tooth speaker.
- I will eat a bit of lean protein just before retiring to avoid that 3 am blood sugar drop that often wakes us up out of our slumber.
- I will release the habit of worrying (this one is ongoing for all of us I think but I’ll do my best).
Here’s to simply slumbering and for striving to slow down and savor what really matters in life!